740-695-1075 Belmont County - St. Clairsville, Ohio

Report Child Abuse

Reports can be made to BCDJFS during operating hours, Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:00pm by calling 740-695-1075, option 2. For emergency calls after hours please call 911. If calling from outside Belmont County after regular business hours, please call 740-699-0429.

If you are concerned that a child is abused or neglected:

If you are concerned about a child who does not live in Belmont County and need to make a report, please call 1-800-4ACHILD (1-800-422-4453).

To make a report you will need at a minimum:

  • Description of alleged abuse or neglect.
  • Current location of the child.

Please be ready to supply the following information:

  • Family’s name and address
  • Non-custodial parent’s name and address
  • Name(s) of child(ren) in the home
  • Date(s) of birth or age(s)
  • School(s) and Grade(s)
  • Explanation for concerns of abuse and neglect
  • School attendance, grades, behaviors of child(ren)

Should I Get Involved? A Guide to Reporting Suspected Child Abuse or Neglect

Signs of Child Abuse or Neglect:
Children who are mistreated can be physically abused, sexually abused, or emotionally abused; neglected; or abandoned.  Physical Abuse is any injury resulting from beating, biting, burning, or otherwise harming a child or exposing a child to domestic violence.  Sexual Abuse is any act of molestation against a minor child.  Emotional Abuse can be caused by constantly rejecting a child, name-calling, or threatening a child’s safety.  Neglect is defined as the failure of a parent to provide food, clothing, supervision, education, or medical care for a child.  Children can be at risk of child abuse due to parental substance abuse, domestic violence or mental health problems.

Do The Right Thing!

Understanding your role in protecting children is important. You are doing the right thing by getting involved and telling us a child is at risk of abuse or neglect.  Children must be able to count on us to make their world safe and secure.

Call Us With Your Concerns

When you call to make a referral, you will talk with a social worker who will ask you a series of questions about your concerns.  You may not have the answers to some of the questions.  That’s okay.  Answer as many as you can, as completely as you can, so we can decide the best way to respond to your concerns. You may remain anonymous, if you wish.

Belmont County Children Services Division Will Help

Belmont County Children Services Division staff will assess the level of risk to the child. If a child is at risk of abuse or neglect, we will either provide direct service or refer the family to other community organizations.  The important thing is that the family can now get the help it needs.